Quitting is a life-long change, and it takes commitment to remain tobacco-free. But you’ve worked this hard to quit, so don’t let cravings get in the way. Here are a few tips to help you stay on track.
1. Be aware of triggers and avoid them.
2. Keep busy. When you feel a craving, find something to do to pass the time, like read a book or magazine. The craving only lasts a short while.
3. Stay active by taking walks or starting an exercise program.
4. Learn new habits. For example, instead of having a cigarette after a meal, go for a walk.
5. Eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water. If you feel a craving, reach for a healthy snack such as popcorn, nuts or fresh fruit or veggies.
6. Reward yourself for reaching tobacco-free milestones.
7. Get help and support from family and friends.
8. Do not be too hard on yourself if you slip.
9. Do not give up. Remember the reasons you had for quitting in the first place.